Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Router, YOU FAIL

My router is going out. In a BAAAAAAD way. The guys here connected directly by cat5 don't have it nearly as badly as those of us who are wireless. It's a fucking shocker I can ever get anything done online with as often as the router simply refuses to transmit. At first I thought it was my NIC, on my old laptop, but when other people began expressing they were having the same problem, I came to understand swiftly that my NIC was just fiiiiiiiine. Then we thought it was the modem, since my hubby was "directly connected to the modem" (which I believed, and went with), but the cable company said they'd been monitoring the connection for awhile solid and there were no problems. Then the tech told me the modem only has a single ethernet port, so I went to check... lo' and behold, the cat5 from my hubby's computer went where? Directly to ----- THE ROUTER! Yes, his "direct connection" was to the failing router, NOT the modem! So I've been watching the modem for awhile, and sure, it's still sending and receiving like a boss. It's all the router.

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO GAME ONLINE WITH AN INTERMITTENT CONNECTION??!! DO YOU???? We had a problem with our connection with Time Warner, because of the lines to the house. Made playing WoW a real bitch and a half. Groups are not supposed to have to stop every room to wait for a member, especially an important one (DoTs ftw!), while in a dungeon. So, we switched companies. The new company is pretty good; no real problems except the occasional download flag. Ugh, but what can you do, worth it for an underground fiberoptic connection. Things have been great until the router started going out. Now I simply can't do ANYTHING. Connection lost. Connection lost. CONNECTION LOST. Connection. Lost. Connection timed out. Retry. Those words make every fibre of my being vibrate with frustration.

Know what's worst? It'll be at least a month before we can get a new damn router. That pretty much eliminates anything important or entertaining I want to do online. It's a heap of bullshit until then. Google. Webcomics. Fucking Facebook.

Shoot me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment