Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Music+Tattoos

I fucking love music. No, really, it's second only to my family in my life. I love listening to it, and I love singing. During those times when I lose my voice due to some illness or another, I'm absolutely miserable. I try to sing, and sound like a dying llama. But at least my ears still work. If/when my hearing finally goes completely, the only thing I'll have left is Dubstep (haha).

When this season's tax return comes in (6 months, boohoo) I'm keeping money back for tattoos. Band tattoos, specifically. Oh, there are plenty more besides bands that I want, but I'm getting my 3 most influential bands' logos permanently marked on my body to remind me of what music has helped me get through. (That'd be a LOT, if you hadn't guessed already). It's my fucking lifeline.

First and foremost is 30 Seconds to Mars. I've been a fan since the beginning (hell, I was a fan of Jared and Shannon Leto before they released any music), and the music has only gotten deeper and more soulful with every new album (of which there have been 3). Their profundity has forced me, on more than one occasion, to sit back and think.

Secondly is Coheed & Cambria. Not only have I been a fan since close to the beginning of their careers, but I love the fact that their albums are all stories that correspond with their comics/graphic novels. I loved The Amory Wars, and the music is so utterly meaningful. It helps that Claudio Sanchez has one of the most unique voices I've ever heard sing.

Last but certainly not least is Breaking Benjamin. I've loved them for years, and although their music changed to suit the current trends, they never lost who they were. Their music has gotten me through some pretty rough times in my life. I know most of it's not terribly deep or profound (some is, so shush), but the sound of Benjamin Burnley's voice lulls me to calm.

There's one band I've left off of my list of favourites that I just adore, but they uh, they don't have a logo I can get tattooed yet. Haha, I know that's ridiculous, but I don't plan on having many words tattooed on me, and the only thing available from them is words. Marianas Trench; they're a Canadian pop-punk band with a truly unique sound (think Beach Boys meets Queen meets FallOut Boy minus the emo). They're fairly new on the music scene; I can't wait to find out what more is in store from these guys.

In closing, let me just say that music is the 2nd best thing to ever happen to me, and the first thing I ever discovered that made my life worth living for. Oh sure, I loved Guns 'n' Roses, Faith no More, Metallica, Megadeth, Sepultura, Ozzy Ozbourne, etc, and they all helped me get through my adolescence (and god, yes, even New Kids on the Block, they were big when I was pubescent), but the bands above helped me get through my adult years, when troubles were a little clearer, a little deeper and a little more profound than they were when I was a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment